Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shooting

I shot Assignment One today. It was much harder than I ever imagined it to be. What I had envisioned when I set out today definitely is not what I ended up shooting. The hardest part was figuring out what to shoot when you are in the same surroundings for... I don't even remember how long. Especially when while you are there, you are frantically changing from a tap costume to a ballet costume in under 10 minutes. I'm not looking for pity here, I deliberately chose to shoot the day of the dance competition. I'm simply stating the facts.

Today, I found a lot of beauty in organized chaos and portraits. The latter is fairly surprising because I strongly dislike shooting portraits. What I found today, though, was that shooting people while they are doing something they love captures a different side of them. And, shooting them while they are in a specific character for a dance, while sometimes a bit corny, is interesting too. I think I took quite a few close-up profile shots. Usually, the person was talking to someone and I captured them in the middle of that. (I'm hoping those are all in focus, considering the person was moving.....) One image that I'm hoping comes out is a picture of my friend, John. I asked him to turn his head to the side and just keep talking to Chloe. I was planning to take the picture just in the midst of him talking. My finger was poised on the shutter and right as the camera **clicked** he smiled. A pure, honest, true smile. I REALLY hope I got that...

As far as the organized chaos goes... that really came from the disorder of my room at the current time. (Ya know, for such an organized person, my room really is a mess.) Every where you go, there is chaos. To me, at least, there is a quaint beauty to that mess. I'm not really sure how to explain it in words... but I do want to try and figure out how because I think I might be onto a final project theme.

I tried hard to take pictures every half hour. That was pretty successful, although it's painful to know I didn't use the whole roll of film!! :P I'm looking forward to processing this film and finding out how it all turned out. Whether it's one of my better shoots, I highly doubt. Only time will tell...

2 comments:

Mr. Patteson said...

Sounds good. Hope you like how they turned out.

That does sound very much like the start of something...

...are you familiar with the concept of entropy? This has a variety of shades of meaning but has been used to describe the tendency of any system to move, over time, from order to chaos.

Meghan said...

I haven't heard of that... It sounds way cool though!