Thursday, December 4, 2008

Helen Levitt- not my favorite photographer


So... Helen Levitt. She was my photographer that I had to do a report on last term. Personally, I don't find her that incredible. I understand why people like her but I don't find her photos asthetically pleasing. However, I admire her ability to capture people doing everyday things. After doing our portraits assignment last term I understand how hard it is to get people to relax in front of (or even not notice) a camera. In most of her pictures I think the people didn't even know she was taking it. As much as I admire her ability to capture people so candidly, I still don't really like her style. Mostly I find her photos very funny and find myself wondering where she found these silly people. Like in the picture above. Why was that man out in the street in his underwear?! With a cane?! She has many pictures that make you laugh and then wonder. I admire that quality of her pictures as well. But at the end of the day, that's all I like. Her books are filled with the most random images. They make you laugh but that's where it ends for me. Sorry Helen Levitt!

2 comments:

Slade said...

Excellent critique. Excellent! I love the fact that you don't like her and are able to articulate it so well. That will be a good skill when eveluating your own photography and that of others. Very good.

Anonymous said...

This is a funny pic. :D