




Portraits. What an assignment. I can't say I'm incredibly proud of my work on this assignment. Shooting was a pain the butt. I could give you a list of excuses but it doesn't matter. What it boils down to is that I was stupid and ill-prepared. I procrastinated too. And, karma kicked my butt. Last night, I was going to get some last minute shooting in at dance. When I got to dance, my camera wasn't working. Go karma!! :)
However, from all of this I learned a ton. Not just about photo but about myself.
First, let me answer all required questions:
1. What worked: The picture of my little sister with the snow on her eyelashes. I actually really like that picture.
2. What didn't work: Almost everything else.
3. What made me cry: Nothing this time!! Although I came close. :)
4. Laugh: Katie's attempts at looking like a model while I was shooting her.
5. Smile: Knowing how much I learned from the mistakes this time...
6. Bawl/Swear: Nothing made me do that... Maybe I am improving. :P
Now, as Zel always says, I shall write my novel. I said earlier that I learned a lot. Not all of it about photo. What I did learn about photo was that I need to think much longer before I shoot. I need to have a plan before I ask people to model for me. I need to look at the shot before I hit the button. I need to start shooting the second I get the assignment and not wait until it's too late to reshoot. Mostly, all this involves me slowing down, thinking, and being prepared. All of which did not occur on this assignment.
What I learned about myself, life, and pineapples: One of the first things I learned was that I am insanely hard on myself. I can usually find something wrong with the work I've done. I need to relax and realize I'm only 15 (16 in 2 months!!!!:D) and am still learning. Beating myself up about mediocre work probably won't help as much as if I was my own cheerleader. The second thing I learned was that school makes up so much of who we are. In short-term ways, it affects our mood for the day/week/month. In long-term ways, it defines who we become. Everyday, we are pushed to be the best versions of ourselves. As cliche as that sounds, it's also true... As much as I need to start being my own biggest fan, I also don't mind that I'm so hard on myself. It pushes me to do better. It makes me try my hardest at everything I do everyday. And it allows me to be disappointed in myself when I turn in a less than mediocre photo assignment.
Hopefully, very soon, I will have a much better of this assignment turned in. Stay tuned...
p.s. This also serves as the epilogue to my story.
p.p.s. The pineapple reference is a Psych thing. If you didn't get it, go watch some episodes of Psych. :D


5 comments:
i like pineapples. and your novel!
love the insights... the images are a start, and they will grow if you take it as seriously as i know you do.
thanks mr. patteson! :D
I love Psych !!! Its on tonight hehehe, no,.... tommorow but still. !!!!! OK you shadow picture is GORGEOUS!!!!
Great silhouette!! And the shadow too. I love how it tells a story even though you can't see the expression of the subject. I also really like the close up one.
Post a Comment