Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Little Princess

Preface: This post has absolutely nothing to do with photo. I don't even care if you read it. I just felt that it all needed to be said. haha Enjoy my craziness. :P

So... I was in a bit of a funky mood this evening. I started thinking about one of my favorite movies of all time, A Little Princess. I started thinking about how my dad and I used to watch it ALL the time, even when I was too young to really understand what the movie was saying. We would sit, just the two of us and watch this heart wrenching movie.

As I got older, we continued to watch it. The things I remember from it varied as I grew. When I was little, all I could really remember was when one of the girls dips another girl's hair in an ink well. I didn't even know what an ink well was. I just knew that the girl was mean and I felt bad for the ink-hair girl. Then I started to remember more. The beautiful dresses, the shoes clacking on the pavement, the doll Sara is given from her father whom she names Emily (one of the inspirations for my little sister's name). There are so many beautiful things in that movie to remember. It is absolutely brilliant.

Then I started to think about how much life has changed since the last time I sat and watched that movie with my dad. I've grown up, he's grown up, my little sister has grown up. We've moved, grown together, grown apart, started new schools, new jobs, cut our hair, bought new clothes, gone on trips, gotten smarter, gotten wiser...

And really, life is what that movie is all about. Love, happiness, sadness, the world, beliefs... The movie speaks to so many different people because I think everyone sees a little piece of themselves in at least one of the characters.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Sara is yelling at Miss Minchin. She screams at her about what her father has told her, wondering why Miss Minchin can't understand. When she finishes, the way the camera pans, it looks as if Sara is growing and Miss Minchin is shrinking. It is, in a word, brilliant. I think what Sara says will stick with me for the rest of my life.

"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren’t pretty, or smart, or young. They’re still princesses. All of us. Didn't your father ever tell you that? Didn't he?!"

No comments: