Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rodney Smith, Research Assignment

I'm choosing Rodney Smith for this research assignment. I've written about him on my blog before but I wanted to explore his life and full body of work.

Rodney Smith's father was a successful businessman. As a result, his family was always traveling around the world. Their travels took them to Germany and for a while, Smith lived with a German family. This family took photos as a hobby and developed the images themselves. Smith says that this is where he fell in love with photography.
Later in life, he went to the Museum of Modern Art. Apparently, he remember looking at the permanent collection and thinking, "I could do that."

Rodney Smith studied photography at Yale under Walker Evans. A fellowship allowed him to live in Jerusalem for 3 months in 1975. During his time there, he shot the images that would soon become his book The Land of Light.

After that book was published, Rodney Smith started getting invitations to lecture at some very prestigious universities such as Columbia and Harvard, to name a couple. However, Smith declined every invitation. Instead, he traveled. The biography on his website states, "Adding to his mystery, Rodney declined all invitations, instead riding slow trains in India, bicycling through the Camarque, strolling the streets in Paris (where at a flea market he buys the Duke of Windsor's luggage tags)."

**Soon after his traveling days ended, Smith returned to Yale and got a degree in Divinity. Apparently, the reason he shoots the way he does is because he wanted to combine his passions: philosophy and photography. Though beautiful, some of his images are a bit creepy/thought provoking.**

Rodney Smith has won countless awards and can be seen in some of the most prestigious galleries around the world. Rodney Smith is a truly incredible photographer.


Personally, I love Rodney Smith's work. It has a certain elegance to it that I absolutely adore. Both is black and white and color photographs are incredible. When he shoots in color, it seems to never be just for the sake of shooting in color. The color makes a statement. It seems the same way in black and white.

Here are a few of my favorites...



I. love. this. image. The expression on her face. The smoke around her. It all fits so wonderfully. Also, the way there isn't really a true black or true white... Usually it would seem flat or murky but it makes the image better. I also really like the highlight on her forehead.




My favorite part of this image is the different levels of each person, and the way the one lady is turned facing the camera. It almost looks like a muddled AT&T commercial. :) The umbrellas add an interesting shape to the image which juxtaposes the similar shapes of the people. And then the rain adds the finishing touch of making the ground look shiny.




There are so many neat things about this image. I love the dress, first of all. And the composition is amazing. The way the Eiffel Tour is right in the center with the people leaning away from each other. The two top hats also add a nice touch. I also think the grey sky is nice. Usually, I find grey skies to be boring but it completes the look of the image.




This is one of my favorite color images of Rodney Smith's collection. Like I said earlier, he doesn't use color simply for the sake of having color. To me, at least, it seems like he chooses the colors carefully. For example, in this image, all the reds. The red of the "button," the red of the box, the red of the bottom of the building, and then the subtle red of her lips. It all fits. Meanwhile, the people are wearing fairly bland clothing. It just all fits together so nicely!


"Rodney Smith - Biography." Rodney Smith Photography. 15 Apr. 2009 .
"Rodney Smith." Oracle ThinkQuest Library. 15 Apr. 2009 .
"Rodney Smith - Portfolio." Rodney Smith Photography. 15 Apr. 2009 .

p.s. I'm not really sure why my blog does this but it won't post links... :( Mr. Patteson: if you would like them, let me know and I could send them in an email or something. SORRY! :(

1 comment:

Mr. Patteson said...

Very nice work. Great commentary. The images you chose are kind of "fashion-y", which I don't normally love but these are pretty interesting.

Lack of links is fine.